Gumbywan

Pavane
Keith Roberts

Boring Ground

Breeding Ground - Sarah Pinborough

Okay, let's just get this out of the way up front:  this was the worst book I have read in a long time, which was really disappointing since I like Pinborough's The Hidden.  Really bad.

There are so many problems with this it's hard to know where to start and it isn't worth your or my time to go into it in depth.  I guess to get started it is a post-apocalyptic novel.  The women have mostly turned into giant "widow" spiders (how anyone knows this is beyond me).  The science behind this is so ludicrous and preachy it would have better been left out entirely.

Onward to the more serious issues.  First, written in a language that would make a sixth grader cringe.  Second, so many plot holes you just cannot suspend your disbelief that much.  Third, two dimensional idiotic characters.  A grade-schooler could figure out how to survive better than these fools.  A main character that throws off his first pregnant girlfriend, then his post-apoc. girlfriend, then shacks with a deaf woman and knocks her up with as little grief and feeling as a mole.  Let me make it clear, these women all die a terrible death within six months.  His grief lasts about a week, and this is supposed to be the main sympathetic character.  And on and on...

This is the sort of shabby book that smells of fulfilling a book contract.  I know authors get screwed, but then they screw us without warning.  I have seen authors disown a book like this, written to fulfill a contract, but they usually warn potential readers.  The shame of it is there is no reason for Pinborough to write a book this bad.  I've read her stories and one other novel and this almost smells like a bad case of writer's block.