Gumbywan

Pavane
Keith Roberts

Hidden Gem

The Hidden - Sarah Pinborough

Somebody I follow said they loved Sarah Pinborough.  I can't even remember where.  I knew she was a horror writer.  I found this awhile back at a used bookstore.  I periodically find stuff that is on top of one of my piles and the cover will intrigue me so I pick it up.  Sometimes I read it.

I started this and about 20 pages in I thought it was too romancy for me and I also thought I had figured out the end.  I was so wrong on both counts.  I had put the book down but decided to go look at some of the reviews on badreads anyway, which I almost never do before I read something.  Actually the one star reviews were more helpful than any others:  "This book is just like my nightmares.  Why would anyone ever want to read it?"  Hmmm, well, other than proving that you really can learn something even from an idiot, I decided to give it another go.  50 pages in I was hooked.

Great characters, multiple plot lines, and a situation so weird you can't imagine anyone ever figuring out what is going on or how it can possibly resolve (including me).  As the weird body count rises (you never know how the next guest is going to expire) the suspense builds.  Is this going to be happily ever after, or everyone's doomed?  On top of a rollicking good read you have a very profound question about the nature of guilt or innocence.

I'm not going to even hint at the ending other than to say you won't know it until Pinborough shows it.

Who are the damned and who are the saved?

The only criticism I had is this Leisure mmpb was riddled with typos.