Gumbywan

Keith Roberts

Classic Modern Strange Stories

Seventeen Stories - Mark Valentine
Read from January 16 to 22, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A collection of previously (except for one) published, but mostly difficult to find anymore Valentine stories. Full of Jamesian/Aickmanesque subtlety (except for one horrorific story that is overtly Lovecraftian), some set in prior times and some set in contemporary times. Others however are really out of time, difficult to define any period quite.

These stories really project the range of Valentine's talent for the weird short story. They are set off in five sections that connect the stories thematically within the section although even within each section the outcome is almost always varied and unexpected.

Valentine is not generally a shocker, these are more stories of unease or just plain strangeness, some could be seen as wry allegories. These are "classic" but not dated stories.

The prose is always intelligent and metaphorically complex.

It would be counterproductive and unfair to summarize or even list any of these stories since they are all relatively short. You'll just have to find out for yourself.

I think this is still in print from Swan River Press in Dublin but the edition is limited to 400 copies so it won't last forever. Mine came with a little card with the jacket art signed by Valentine. Oh, and the hardcover art is beautiful as well but it is not cloth bound.