Gumbywan

Keith Roberts
SPOILER ALERT!

Never Trust the Clergy

The Priest: A Gothic Romance - Thomas M. Disch

This book, like all the Supernatural Minnesota series (this is volume 3), has so much going on in it at so many levels that that it is hard to distill it much less deconstruct it. On the surface it is a trashing of the Catholic Church, Scientology, and Pro-Lifers. Disch also takes a few swipes at his sf brethren who he considered insane or just plain con men (L. Ron HubbardPhilip K. Dick, and Whitley Streiber). The tone of the book is more pessimistic than the others in the series, but like the others pretty much everyone ends up dead, except the pedophile main character Father Bryce himself who ends up in the big house, although he may really be 16th century inquisitor Silvanus de Roquefort and Father Bryce may just be getting his just desserts on the rack back in the 16th century. Or maybe Bryce is just another crazy. Anyway, Silvanus/Bryce sees the 20th century as just a dandy place for sinners to hang out. At the same time it's hard to find a Catholic clergyman or nun who can keep their dick/pussy in their pants be it straight, gay, rape, or toddler sex. Oh, and the so-called pro-lifers/anti-contraception nuts are ironically the most murderous of the lot in their fanatical desire to save unborn fetuses and prevent spilt seed.

As in the other volumes of the series, what goes around comes around and you can either call it fate or coincidence although I think Disch probably just believes that shit happens to the guilty and the innocent alike and there isn't a lot of reason to try to take any meaning out of all of it.

One truly normal average unmarried pair, however in no way innocent, manages to crawl out of this cesspool/nightmare and actually have the child they were originally going to abort, just another of Disch's ironies not some spiritual or moral message. Disch is always winking at us, daring us to read something into spaces where he doesn't mean to imply anything other than to get love where we can. That's the only point of course.