Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

A More Perfect Heaven: How Copernicus Revolutionized the Cosmos

A More Perfect Heaven: How Copernicus Revolutionized the Cosmos - Dava Sobel This is strictly a historical book. There is precious little science in it. It was a good overview of the Copernican revolution and particularly the role of Rheticus in convincing Copernicus to publish his work: On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres. The book also briefly deals with the repercussions of this publication.Ultimately I could only give this book three stars. The book is well written in a lively manner. However, I think it is a flawed book by centering on a rather fanciful drama called: And the Sun Stood Still about the initial 2-year relationship between Rheticus and Copernicus and how Rheticus ultimately persuaded Copernicus to publish his work. I applaud Sobel for trying something different. I think the drama could stand on its own just fine but here it takes up a lot of the text, takes some license with chronology, and borders on historical fiction rather than actual history, which this book is supposed to be. There are some iffy, in being factual, romantic subplots that humanized the subjects but ultimately were unnecessary.I probably would not have read this book, I enjoy either more historical depth or more science, but it was a gift and I always feel obligated to reading books people give me, especially family and good friends.Another thing I want to whine about is how cheap hardcover bindings have become. This is a $25 list price book. The numbers are sewn in, so that is good, but the cover is the cheapest sort of red paper and cardboard affair. There isn't even an attempt to put an additional layer to the spine for reinforcement.