Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

The Street of Crocodiles and Other Stories

The Street of Crocodiles and Other Stories (Penguin Classics) - Bruno Schulz, Celina Wieniewska, Jonathan Safran Foer, David Goldfarb This book is either a novel, or more likely, a collection of semi-interconnected stories, some more connected than others. Joseph, his father, and sister Adela are recurring characters. In general people react with seemingly normal responses to things only to wander into surreal Shandean digressions which may or may not take the reader eventually back to "reality." Most of the action is driven by what appears to be the characters' subconscious, for lack of any other better motivation. This may be reading too much into it and the purely surreal may be what the author is primarily striving for. Many bizarre transformations also abound.At times I felt like I was a prisoner in a cross between a Luis Bunuel film and Eraserhead, not necessarily a bad thing. Images are striking and vivid and despite what I've said, cogent metaphors do pepper the text. I found this, despite the bizarre nature of the book, a rather easy read. Don't let your mind wander because the story doesn't always follow a linear path and you may find you don't know what happened a few pages ago and won't be able to reconstruct it just from the context.There is also an excellent screen adaptation of The Street of Crocodiles by the Quay Brothers.