Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

Collected Fiction of William Hope Hodgson: Night Land and Other Romances v. 4

The Collected Fiction, Vol. 4: The Night Land and Other Perilous Romances - William Hope Hodgson, Jeremy Lassen, Jason Van Hollander Is it science fiction? Is it fantasy? Is it romance? Is it written in a weird fake archaic English? It's all this and more...Seriously, The Night Land is a marvelous but flawed apocalyptic novel, flawed through its over-reliance on repetitious and dated romantic sequences and its quasi-archaic language (you get used to it after awhile). It also will offend those who cannot put aside its treatment of women. It is truly very weird and creepy in parts particularly during the "outward" half of the book. It shows a unique perspective and and imagination on a post-apocalyptic world. The protagonist is engaging although tends to be repetitive.The rest of the "romances" in this book are of their time but I found them more interesting than I anticipated. In any case they are easy reads.