Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

Wicked Things

Wicked Things - Thomas Tessier This book was pretty weak. It is hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote [b:Finishing Touches|287641|Finishing Touches|Thomas Tessier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348371040s/287641.jpg|279070] and [b:Fog Heart|1490104|Fog Heart|Thomas Tessier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312029869s/1490104.jpg|1056147]. This book is neither literary nor are the stories (there is a novella entitled "Scramburg U.S.A" included) very good.Wicked Things, the main novel, is a sort of Philip Marlowe pastiche with an occulty undercurrent. Jack Carlson is a private insurance dick (like "Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar," without the itemized expense account). It is poorly written, poorly edited, and just plain padded and boring. The payoff sucks too.Scramburg is unbelievably even worse. The story is a sort of juvenile delinquent mayhem and revenge thing. The supernatural payoff is so bad and so tacked-on that the last two chapters are pretty much laughable.I would have never expected Tessier to be so variable after reading the other two novels, both of which are very literate, original, and creepy as hell.