Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

Moby Dick

Moby Dick - Herman Melville People that don't give Moby Dick five stars are either contrarian or just plain illiterate. To denigrate this admittedly ponderous novel because YOU don't understand it or you are not interested in whaling (Who really is?) is just a sign of small minds and basic ignorance of literature in general. You just aren't a real reader. This is the "other" Great American Novel, the first being Huckleberry Finn. It is ultimately about everything, dripping with symbolism, allegory, and reference to everything from the Bible to classical mythology.I'm sure being assigned this in high school (you're to young to understand and appreciate it anyway) and college doesn't help the acceptance of this tome for the great literary artifact it is. That's no excuse! Go back to it when you are mature enough and well read enough to appreciate and love it. The rest of you I consign to literature purgatory.