Gumbywan

Progress: 140/336 pages
Pavane
Keith Roberts

Ghastly

Ghosts: Recent Hauntings - Karen Joy Fowler, Peter Straub, John Shirley, Tim Powers, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Laird Barron, Richard Parks, Joe R. Lansdale, Jeffrey Ford, Stephen Gallagher, Peter Atkins, Steve Rasnic Tem, Melanie Tem, Maureen F. McHugh, Glen Hirshberg, Sarah Monette, Margo Lanagan, Steph

Guran delivers a good batch of stories about my favorite horror trope: the ghost. Given that it is a time worn sub-genre there is a pretty good amount of transcendence here that bodes well for the modern ghost story. There isn't really a Jamesian story here so if that is what you are looking for, move on.

Often in a reprint anthology with this many stories there are a few stinkers. I usually look at the author bios for the writers I don't recognize right off the bat. There were a number here that, and I paraphrase, ran like: "...their last book was a YA paranormal novel..." This usually makes me cringe and expect the worst, but the stories here are all first rate. A lot of this is due to the editor who selected these stories.